The Niskaportti Golf Course is located in a beautiful rural environment, on an isthmus between lakes Kirkkojärvi and Urajärvi. The course has been built on the land of the Niskaportti farm, the history of which extends back to the 17th century. The site used to house a wealthy farm, and the old buildings now serve Iitti Golf.
The golf course was designed by Lassi-Pekka Tilander. The design was based on the idea of making an as pleasant course as possible for players of all levels. The modern design of the fairways brings a right kind of challenge to the game.
The time-honoured and valuable buildings of Niskaportti located within the area are supervised by the National Board of Antiquities of Finland. It is a matter of honour to us to cherish the traditions and take care for the environment as carefully as possible.
HISTORY OF NISKAPORTTI
The history of the Niskaportti farm can be traced back to the 17th century, when Per Brahe ruled Finland as the governor of the King of Sweden. There is a document signed by Per Brahe in Porvoo, dating back to 1639, by which estate rights to an abandoned estate by the name of Radansuu were given to Jordan Eerikinpoika Peuronius, curate of the parish of Iitti. According to Aimo Halila, a prominent local historian, the estate was returned to the state in 1684 following the death of Jordan Peuronius, but his descendants remained in the village. Aimo Halila says that the location of the village of Radansuu was among the most advantageous locations in the area, and it stood in a very beauty region. By the influence of the right persons, the Niskaportti farm became one of the foremost farms in the village by the 1860s.
Emil Woldemar Lehtinen, a descendant of Jordan Peuronius, was active in promoting the affairs of the Niskaportti farm. He made investments and expanded the farm, its cultivation and animal husbandry. Following his somewhat unexpected death, the farm was taken over by his son Kauko Pellervo Lehtinen (1908 - 1992) in 1929. The book “Suomen maatilat” (Farms of Finland) from 1931 states that the area of the farm at that point was 286.5 hectares, of which arable land accounted for 65 hectares. The main building of the farm was built in the 1820s, and its extension was completed at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. The new, modern barn and stables were completed in 1927. The buildings were renovated in 1973. The subsurface drainage of the fields was completed during Kauko Lehtinen’s era.
After the death of Kauko Lehtinen, his heirs took care of the farm. The buildings and the land were sold to Iitti Golf Oy in 2003. Since Jordan Eerikinpoika, the estate had been owned by the same family for 11 generations.
In a way, the new use of the buildings takes them back to their roots, because the house also used to serve as an inn. The buildings and the surrounding landscape have been supervised by the National Board of Antiquities since the early 1970s. The National Board of Antiquities has also issued instructions for repairs, construction and landscaping in a manner than cherishes the old. The history and traditions of the estate are truly worth preserving. Iitti Golf bought the place at a good time, because over time the farm and its buildings could have fallen into disrepair in the possession of an undivided estate. Now, there are mutual benefits: Iitti Golf can provide golf enthusiasts and others interested in outdoor pursuits with a beautiful landscape and country milieu. In return, Iitti Golf takes proper care of the condition of Niskaportti and at the same time preserves its valuable cultural heritage in co-operation with the National Board of Antiquities.
The landscape improves, the sceneries become even more appealing and the vegetation is maintained in connection with the building of the golf course. The area of the golf course is former arable land, and its historic value lies in the open landscape. The gently undulating field of the isthmus together with the pine-dominated ridges surrounding the field area allow the construction of a modern high-quality golf course.
Niskaportti was created in the 17th century.
The buildings and the surrounding landscape have been supervised by the National Board of Antiquities since the early 1970s. The National Board of Antiquities has also issued instructions for repairs, construction and landscaping in a manner than cherishes the old.
The buildings and the land were sold to Iitti Golf Oy in 2003.